5 Gold 🥇
5 Silver 🥈
4 Bronze 🥉
have been bagged by Indian players.
Here’s the list of Indian medal winners in the Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham so far Some sportspersons are competing with themselves
- Mirabai Chanu – GOLD (Weightlifting, Women’s 49kg class)
Star weightlifter Mirabai Chanu went on a record-smashing spree, claiming four of them in a power-packed performance, to claim India’s first gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham on July 30, 2022.
• She won gold in women’s 48kg event in 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- Jeremy Lalrinnunga – GOLD (Weightlifting, Men’s 67kg)
Jeremy Lalrinnunga maintained country’s dominance in the weightlifting arena when he claimed the second gold medal which pushed India to top six on the medal table on day three of the Commonwealth Games, on July 31.
- Achinta Sheuli – GOLD (Weightlifting, Men’s 73kg)
Weightlifter Achinta Sheuli lived up to his top billing as he clinched India’s third gold in the Commonwealth Games.
- India women lawn bowls team: (GOLD)
The India lawn bowls team bagged a historic gold medal at the Commonwealth Games on August 2, 2022, a day after getting the country hooked to the rarely-followed game with their inspiring show.
Some teams are competing with other countries
- Men’s table tennis team: (GOLD)
Harmeet Desai raised his game in the decisive singles as the Indian men’s table tennis team retained its Commonwealth Games gold medal after a close fight against Singapore in Birmingham on August 2, 2022.
• Indian table tennis team had won bronze in 2018.
- Bidyarani Devi – SILVER (Weightlifting, Women’s 55kg class)
Weightlifter Bindyarani Devi clinched a silver in the women’s 55kg as India continued its medal rush at the Commonwealth Games.
- Sanket Mahadev Sargar – SILVER (Weightlifting, Men’s 55kg class)
Indian weightlifter Sanket Sargar opened the country’s medal count at the Commonwealth Games by claiming a silver in the men’s 55kg category.
- Vikas Thakur: (SILVER): 96kg
Indian heavyweight lifter Vikas Thakur added yet another Commonwealth Games medal to his kitty, winning a silver in the men’s 96kg here on Tuesday. The seasoned Thakur lifted a total of 346kg (155kg+191kg) to finish second and claim his third CWG medal across three editions.
• He won Bronze in men’s 94kg weightlifting event in 2018.
Some sportsmen tried new level and still won the medal
- Gururaja Poojary – BRONZE (Weightlifting, Men’s 61kg class)
P. Gururaja clinched Bronze in the Men’s 61 kg weight category at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games, 2022, on July 30.
• Although he had brought Silver in Men’s 56kg in 2018.
- Judoka Shushila – SILVER (Judo, women’s 48 kg class)
The 27-year-old Shushila fought hard before losing the final via ‘Waza-Ari’ in the 4.25-minute final against South Africa’s Michaela Whitebooi
- Vijay Kumar Yadav – BRONZE (Judo, men’s 60kg class)
The 26-year-old Yadav, on the other hand, produced a superlative performance as he pounced on the mistake of his opponent and pinned him down for 10 seconds to end the contest in just 58 seconds.
- Harjinder Kaur – BRONZE (Weightlifting, women, 71kg)
India’s Harjinder Kaur claimed the bronze medal in the women’s 71kg weightlifting competition after a dramatic climax at the Commonwealth Games.
Credit : Thehindu.com